About Me

My photo
Portland, OR, United States
I am living in the age of quarantine and a brand-new LPN.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Next Step for me

I have been meaning to write this post for quite some time. But I am busy with that next step and finding myself with much less free time! So, here I am, on a Thursday afternoon with a couple of errands to do and studying to get done.....but I want to write this out first. So here goes.

I wrote about the restless feeling I've had for over a year. Developmental, getting close to 40 stuff. Kids getting older. Feeling the need to get out and find something meaningful. But what?

Paul and I have also had our challenges. Being married for 19 years, two kids, mortgage, pets, church, settling into life in Portland.....we have changed a lot in the 20 years we've been together, but perhaps hadn't changed our relationship accordingly. This summer took us through lots of examination of how our marriage works, how our family works, how we'd like to be and how to get there. And here's part of what that change looks like for me.

I am planning to enter a midwifery program in the spring! There is a college of midwifery right here in Portland, and I am currently taking an Anatomy and Physiology class there--a pre-requisite for entering the program. I'll also be taking a doula workshop to fulfill another requirement. I am so excited! And scared, too. I have been thinking about birth since Hibi was born, and about midwifery since Zac was born. I've put it on hold, maybe even blocked it out of my thinking, because it didn't seem possible or plausible. (Don't we already have one high-demand career in this family?) But here I am, at this juncture, jumping off and not looking back. It is a risk, but I think I'm up for it. I hope I am!

That all means some changes in how our family works. Paul has already taken on a lot more housework, and is even cooking at least once a week! The kids have even stepped up and are doing much more than they'd done before. And as far as homeschooling goes....the plan right now is for Zac to go to school in the spring, when I'll be starting my program full-time. He is actually looking forward to it! I think it's really just what he needs right now. Homeschooling has worked really well for us for many years....but it's time to re-evaluate and figure out what works best for us right now. This seems like it could work very well for all of us.

5 comments:

DebD said...

I am so excited for you! All my children were caught by a midwife and my interest in end-of-life was definitely sparked by my interest in homebirthing.

I bet your son will do quite well in a school setting, but it helps that he is excited.

Christina said...

congratulations!!! it sounds like you are all on a grand adventure. And everyone seems to be on board! I hope it all works out!

magda said...

Having just given birth (well, this past Friday) at a birthing center with the excellent support of two midwives (and two birth assistants and of course my super-awesome husband), I will be praying hard for you. How long is the course of study? How exciting!

ElizO said...

Such exciting times! I hope things fall into place for you all, and the changes bring you all to new, even better place. I look forward to hearing about the journey!

Jennifershmoo said...

Wow! Congratulations! I think this sounds like a wonderful decision. Being a midwife sounds like such a beautiful, life-affirming path. :-)

SC