About Me

My photo
Portland, OR, United States
I am living in the age of quarantine and a brand-new LPN.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Knish

And, of course, we wanted to sample the local food in NYC. Paul and I had both thought to want New York City real Jewish bagels. But when I got online to find a place....I found Yonah Schimmel's Knish Bakery.

It just sounded too good to pass up. I don't think I'd ever had knish before...and I wasn't even quite sure what they were. And we were not disappointed! Our silly children, of course, balked at trying something new so they went to the Whole Foods previously referenced--Yonah's was only half a block from there--and got themselves pastry. Well, I doubt that Hibi could have gotten anything vegan at Yonah's anyway. But Zac tried a bite of my knish and was in heaven. Paul and I usually get different things so we can try each other's....but the cherry cheese knish sounded divine to both of us...and it was! Oh, yum. Someday I'm going to go back there and have another. Even if it is hot as hell. :-)

Plus. When we got inside I saw on the menu: egg creams! Yes, for breakfast, Paul and I got one to split. It did not disappoint either. The only thing that disappointed was the coffee. I'm told now that you just can't get good coffee in New York City. I'm glad I didn't waste my time looking, then!

Yonah Schimmel's is a hole in the wall, so if you're looking for something really fancy, don't. :-) It's definitely a neighborhood place, no frills, just awesome knish.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Yeah, the coffee was marginal, but the bagels made up for it.

I didn't get a knish, but saw them on the menu.

Magpie Ima said...

Ahhhhh....knishes! I'm jealous. I mostly ate the lousy soggy ones from the carts on the street and I still loved them. I had some fine ones in Brighton Beach with my 100 year old aunt, too. Yum......

Magpie Ima said...

NYC in the summer. It's a special kind of heat, isn't it? When it got unbearable I used to go ride the Staten Island Ferry back and forth and stand on the deck enjoying the breeze.

Ryuu said...

I would have tried the knish if it was vegan, or if I wasn't! You make me sound so closed-minded.

SC